Sunday, June 14, 2009

Conference At The United Nations (An Inspirational Story)

At Philadelphia, nobody in my school was recognized enough in order to win a award. I remember we were all upset because we worked so hard to go home empty handed. I made a vow to myself that I was going to do whatever it took in order to win. Saving the world is what should come first before winning but I know I would never work at my full potential if I knew I was not going to gain anything from it. I decided that I needed a new partner who was just as hungry for an award like me if I knew I wanted to win. But what made my task difficult was that I had to represent Sudan(one of the most corrupt countries in the world). The topic we were trying to solve was separatist movements. A separatist movement is when the people try to gain independence from their nation. I could had admitted that Sudan was facing a separatist movement but I didn't because the reason why they are having one is because the Sudanese people are at war with an Arab militia called the janjawid and they believe that the government of Sudan are aiding the Arab militia with weaponry (AKA hosting a genocide which is bad diplomacy). I had doubts because at the opening ceremony the United Nations Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon had answered a question related to my topic in front of 3,000 people! But the conference went smoothly because I did not get attacked as I thought I would. In fact, me and my partner (his name is Jose) made it seem like everything was peaceful in Sudan and that there were no problems. And because of that, we won many other countries on our side to help prepare the resolution we created. However, many other resolutions got submitted in before ours so when our country and some other countries who worked on the resolution such as: Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Ireland, and Uganda tried to submit a resolution into the chair, it didn't make it to the voting process because the chair stated that "the resolution sounds similar to many others we read". I found that unfair because they did not read the clauses thoroughly and we worked on this resolution on our spare time overnight. At this point I felt that I didn't try hard enough even though I knew that resolution could had possibly saved the world. It upset me the most because I could not keep the resolution because the chair never gave it back. I can still remember what the girls from Angola said because I have kept a note that they had sent me during the conference. They said:


"We think you guys presented some awesome ideas.
Your dedication to writing this resolution is seriously amazing.
We appreciate everything you have done and more. Our resolution
was truly unique and would have been chosen if more time was given to
us."

I still have the note because I found it truly inspiring and the other countries have felt the pain in not getting our resolution submitted in. When the conference was over, the chair decided to give out awards early. I started to make my way for the exit because I knew we didn't win anything. I heard the chair call our country name and I felt like I wanted to shed tears. That was the happiest moment I have ever shared for MUN. Me and Jose showed each other some gratitude by complemented on how we could not had asked for a better team. I was so excited that I never got the chance to thank my partner Jose for being such a great delegate, my global teacher Ms. Pollio and the students of my 09' MUN class for all the support they have given me, and my family for helping me realize that it would eventually take time to succeed in something you really want. So thank you for helping me achieve my inspirational story for MUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment