Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Philly MUN

The Philadelphia Model United Nations trip was my first big conference as well as my first overnight conference. Despite the knowledge I knew about my topic and about MUN, I still felt very nervous as well as bored because I did not want to debate about a topic for 3 to 5 hours straight! I had fun overall but when I was in committee session, things slowly started to fall apart. I did not know as much about my topic as I thought I did and I felt like I was not producing enough in order to be recognized by the other delegates in my committee. I got one resolution passed but I did not sponsor it completely, which made me feel left out of the whole process. I also did not have the best partner at this conference. And because of that, we did not win an award. I am very competitive so it frustrated me when I had to go back home empty handed. I had fun outside the committee sessions but other than that I felt very discouraged. I told myself I never wanted to do the MUN experience again but eventually I went on to go to the United Nations to have a conference with the encouragement of my friends as well as the inspirational anecdotes by my global history teacher. If there was anything I learned from the Philadelphia conference was that it takes time....

No comments:

Post a Comment