Thursday, June 11, 2009

Public Speaking/Speeches

Starting out with public speaking was something I thought I was going to be good at during the future conferences I was going to attend. I thought it would be easy being that I excelled with articulating my words in my global class. At the Philadelphia conference everything changed. The other kids had many ideas and the way they speak sounded so much better than how I would hear myself speak. I felt intimidated so throughout most of the conference I did not speak. Instead I would pass notes to other kids to explain my ideas to them. I figured I wouldn't have to speak so then I would not make a fool of myself if a certain statement came out wrong. I learned my lesson from not speaking because many of the other kids took my ideas and re-word my ideas into resolutions of their own. But since the Philadelphia conference I have been studying vocabulary words, writing sample speeches as well as showing confidence within myself. I learned that it is not silly if you say something that might be wrong but it is silly when you say nothing at all. Experience is the best teacher so it does not hurt to receive feedback from your peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment